AZTI-Tecnalia is a non-profit private foundation committed to the social and economical development of the marine environment and food sector. With 27 years of experience, the organisation has developed more than 2.000 projects with industries and public institutions.
AZTI is part of Tecnalia Corporation formed by 7 research institutions. AZTI-Tecnalia as research and innovation centre is structured in two business divisions: Marine Research and Food Research, the last one aimed at improving the quality, productivity and innovation of food products and processes.
• 3 Research centers in Spain (> 10.000 m2 )
• 220 Personnel
• 17,7 Millions € income in 2007
The Food Research Division in AZTI-Tecnalia is formed by 70 specialists in different fields distributed in four main areas of technological expertise:
• New Food Products:
AZTI-Tecnalia works closely with the food industry offering integrated solutions to companies in the development of new products and the improvement of the existing ones. We are specialists in the design of food products with specific (nutritional and health) properties, pleasant and convenient. Our main R&D focus is directed to:
- Active compounds and functional ingredients
- Improving the nutritional profiling of food
- Design of new food products
• Detection systems for Food Safety and Quality:
The three research fields in this area are:
- New methods and detection systems for the control, identification and traceability applied to food products.
- Validation models that guarantee safety of new technologies and novel foods.
- Prevention of food risks, by means of reducing and/or eliminating contaminant agents and allergens in foods.
• Novel Technologies:
AZTI has a solid experience in designing and developing novel food processes by applying traditional and/or emerging technologies. The areas of expertise are decontamination, stabilisation and preservation of food products. Concerning traditional technologies, the work is mainly focused in evaluating their impact on novel risks and/or using them for novel applications for the food sector.
• Sustainability of the Food Chain:
Research in this area is aimed at the improvement of the environmental performance of the food industry, by the application of minimisation processes, clean technologies and production efficiency. The reduction of impacts of the food production chain is another specialization field, as well as the recovery and characterization of by-products, the identification of valuable compounds, and their valorization.
- Laboratories equipped with cutting edge scientific technology and original infrastructures.
- Pilot plant equipped with preservation, stabilisation and decontamination technologies to reproduce industrial processes at pilot scale.
- Experimental kitchen with culinary and food technology to develop healthy, convenient and high quality gastronomy products.