Matís – Icelandic Food Research, is an Icelandic food research company which was founded in late 2006 following the merger of three, former public food research institutes:
- The Icelandic Fisheries Laboratories (IFL), which was an independent food research institute, operating under the auspices of the Ministry of Fisheries
- Matra which was a joint venture of IceTec and the Agricultural Research Institute.
- The research division of the Environment and Food Agency, which operates under the direction of the Ministry for the Environment.
Matis also operates Prokaria, a private biotechnology company and Iceprotein, a protein production company.
To maintain the competitiveness of the Icelandic food industry and –products.
To enhance public health through research and dissemination of knowledge.
To provide risk assessment regarding safety of food and feed.
To promote sustainable utilisation of resources through research, innovation
To be a dynamic knowledge-based food research company, offering research carried out by highly competent, enthusiastic and competitive scientists working at first class facilities in an interesting workplace.
A key aspect of operations at Matis is to engage in applied research with the goal of increasing the value of food processing and -production in Iceland as well as to ensure the safety and quality of Icelandic products.
Matís activities are focused on three main areas:
Processing and product development
- Consumers and sensory evaluation
- Food processing
- Tracability and marketing
- Biotechnological products
Safety and wholesomeness
- Microbiological research
- Chemical research
- Consultancy, dissemination, risk assessment, databanks